This week the snowmobile community will sponsor the 28th annual International Snowmobile Safety Week.
This is a special event for the snowmobile community, including State and Provincial Snowmobile Associations, Visitors and Convention Bureaus, Chambers of Commerce, Snowmobile Clubs and local and state and provincial agencies joining together to recognize the importance of safe, responsible snowmobiling.
Many groups highlight safety week by holding various snowmobile safety training programs.
All of the efforts highlight the key position statements highlighted by the safety week efforts.
Those key points include:
- Snowmobiling and alcohol don’t mix - Don’t drink and ride.
- Smart Riders are Safe Riders – Take a snowmobile safety training course.
- When night riding slow down – Expect the unexpected.
- Know before you go – Always check local ice conditions
- Cross with Care
- Know the risks and be prepared – Make every trip a round trip
- One is the loneliest number – Never ride alone.
- Ride safe, stay on the trail – Respect private property.
When snowmobiling in Avalanche terrain, always check the existing conditions. You can do so by visiting www.avalanche.ca in Canada.
The five guidelines for mountain terrain riding:
- Get the Gear: Ensure everyone has an avalanche transceiver, shovel, and probe on their person and knows how to use them
- Get the Training: Take an avalanche course
- Get the Forecast: Make a riding plan based on the current avalanche and weather forecast
- Get the Picture: If you see recent avalanche activity unstable snow exists. Riding on or underneath steep slopes can be dangerous
- Get out of Harm’s Way: One at a time on all avalanche slopes. Don’t go to help your stuck friend. Don’t group up in runout zones.
This year we are continuing our effort that all snowmobilers must respect private landowners and public land and the land managers. We highlight the need to protect land use privileges and to stay on the trail and if you don’t know – don’t go. Remember to Take the Pledge at www.snowmobilerspledge.com